THE BUMMER – FROM BALLITO, BEACH BUMS AND UMDLOTI TO UMHLANGA BEACH RUN AND WALK ON SUNDAY 25 OCTOBER 2015
Riverside Trail and Durban Athletic Club are organising THE BUMMER taking place on Sunday 25 October 2015.
The long event (approx 23km) starts on Ballito Beach near Gianni’s. The medium event will start at Beach Bums (approx 15km), and the short event will start on Umdloti Beach near Java Café (approx 6km).
The coastline is scenic and unspoiled. There are many interesting landmarks to see along the beach, such as Zimbali; Tongaat River; rocky outcrops; Westbrook; Casuarina trees; the haunted house and wreck at Beach Bums; Umdloti Lagoon and beautiful coastal forest; Umdloti; Peace Cottage; Umhlanga Lagoon and possible fish eagle sighting; Neptune’s Throne; and then the holiday village of Umhlanga. The name of the event picks up on the “beach bum” theme and is also derived from the long event being from Ballito to Umhlanga. We anticipate this becoming an annual event.
# The event will assist in raising money for the community bread-making project of Celebrate Life SA and is likely to popularise beach running and training along this stretch of beach (on an on-going basis); and possibly other beach running events in the future.
CONTACT NUMBERS – ORGANISERS: ( for more information: and for interviews)
Vaughn Smit tel 083 3063557 RIVERSIDE TRAIL firstname.lastname@example.org
Malcolm Millar tel 083 2530645 DURBAN ATHLETIC CLUB email email@example.com
Khaya Mahlati tel 083 9670976 DURBAN ATHLETIC CLUB – honorary life member, multiple Comrades runner and record holder of ‘The Longest Day’ circuit race held annually in Pietermaritzburg.
More details about the route:
1) we will start the 23km on the beach near Gianni’s at 05h30; the 15km event from Beach Bums at 07h00; and the 6km event on the beach near Java Café in Umdloti on Sunday 25 October 2015. This will involve participants coming to register there from about 04h30, 06h00 and 07h30 at the various venues on the morning.
2) some participants will be dropped off by bus others may wish to park at the venue…..and then return for drinks/food later;
3) the Ballito start is at 05h30 so there may be spectators and/or supporters wishing to see participants in action.
4) we are planning to have a refreshment table on the beach near Beach Bums (for the Ballito) starters , and on the beach near Java Café for the 23km and 15km starters.
5) there are also lucky prizes.